Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Patricia de Nicolai Celebrates 25 Years in Business & new fragrance Musc Monoi

To celebrate 25 years in business, niche fragrance brand Parfums de Nicolaï is launching Musc Monoï, inspired by the scent of Ambre Solaire sun products. “For many years I have been in love with Ambre Solaire oil,” said Patricia de Nicolaï, the firm’s owner, founder and perfumer.


“I always wanted to create a fragrance from which I could use this wonderful smell, synonymous with sunny beaches.” Created, like all the firm’s fragrances, by de Nicolaï herself, it focuses on the benzyl salicylate note found in ylang ylang and features head notes of neroli, lemon and Paraguayan petitgrain; heart notes of ylang ylang essence, magnolia, jasmine, coconut (lactone) and Calone; and base notes of ylang ylang absolute, sandalwood and musk.

The amber-coloured juice comes in the firm’s usual tall, elegant bottle with a gold cylindrical cap, and costs £108 for 100ml or £36 for 30ml from de Nicolaï boutiques worldwide and the firm’s website. De Nicolaï, who is president of the Osmothèque perfume museum in Paris, is a descendant of the Guerlain family. She trained at ISIPCA and helped to develop Lancôme’s Trèsor while at Quest before founding her own firm in 1989. Parfums de Nicolaï has since produced 48 fragrances.

quote & press via Patricia Mansfield-Devine, Rennes

Related reading on Perfume Shrine
Beachy Fragrances: Scents to Take You Away
Salicylates: Ingredients with Solar or Evergreen Qualities
Ylang Ylang: Flower of Passion & Exotica

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous23:30

    One for my sister, definitely! She loves beachy florals and the suntan vibe. It suits her too with her warm skin and gold hair.

    These tropical florals are a bit like autumnal colours and yellow for me, they just don't suit my pink-toned celtic skin. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfume for me!
    I love the smell of Ambre Solaire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous08:54

    I am feeling sad - this looks like a lovely fragrance, but it won't suit me, unlike Patricia's L'Eau a la Folie, which I adore. But she has discontinued this .... I wonder why. Was it not popular enough, or is there some other reason?

    So, I am in mourning, and no new scent is going to cheer me right now.

    Jillie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva H.13:38

    @ Anon Jillie: on fragrantica.com it says that L´Eau a la Folie is supposed to be similar to Oliver & Co. Gincense - maybe try that one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. R,

    that's an interesting observation! I hadn't thought of it this way, but give me a moment. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ines,

    I'm glad you are interested, it sounds really good, doesn't it? I too prefer AS to Coppertone for the scent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jillie,

    I am not entirely sure. I believe there is a repositioning and rebranding of PdN which results in many changes going on. Eau de la Folie may have been a victim of this process. They might re-issue though at some point, don't despair, everyone does this these days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eva,

    thanks so much for bringing this information here, I hope Jillie finds out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous09:05

    Eva H and Elena

    Thank you both! I will try to smell the "alternative" Eva.

    Jillie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, honestly, I don't mind Coppertone either. :D
    I just plain love the smell of sunscreen.

    Well, not all. Mostly those that I remember from my childhood. Happy memories... :)

    ReplyDelete

Type your comment in the box, choose the Profile option you prefer from the drop down menu, below text box (Anonymous is fine too!) and hit Publish.
And you're set!

This Month's Popular Posts on Perfume Shrine