"I love fragrance and I have lots of ideas. I can be inspired by a piece of art. For example, Pleasures was inspired by Georgia O'Keefe's paintings and Beyond Paradise by a painting I found in a gallery in the old section of Paris. I have fragrances inspired by travels. Fifteen years ago when I made my first trip to Turkey, I was enamoured by the spice market.
I brought some home and had them analysed and put into fragrances and in Morocco I became obsessed with the smell of thya wood and the beautiful bowls they carved out of it.
I took the pieces home and we recreated Bois Marocain for Tom Ford.
And I find women incredibly inspiring. I think women in different cultures share common threads, but the way in which they are expressed is influenced by the culture. It's so fascinating. When I start to understand that I see certain notes, certain ideas in my mind.".
Thus reminisces Karen Khoury, creative director for 27 year and Senior Vice President at the Lauder Companies Inc, responsible for the creation of numerous best-sellers in her career from Calvin Klein to Lauder to you name it.
photo of citruses & lilac flowers by Meg Smith & Associates via Laurie Arons
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This Month's Popular Posts on Perfume Shrine
-
We have a glorious giveaway today on Perfume Shrine, courtesy of niche perfumer Andy Tauer and his Advent calendar project he conducts every...
-
Tauer Perfumes need no introduction: Probably the most successful internet-stemming indie fragrance phenomenon which built sufficient word o...
-
Iris Nobile by the Italian brand Acqua di Parma (makers of the famous Colonia and the Colonia Assoluta) is celebrating with a special editio...
-
First things first and if you think you have a lucky bone in your body, do drop a comment regarding the Advent Calendar that Tauer Perfumes ...
-
The dream of a hug, the vivid bitter sweet memory of her perfume, her hair shining golden in the morning sun, so fine, the violets from th...
-
Frédéric Malle has a few tricks up his elegant sleeve for catering to jaded perfume lovers still. In a new project involving collaborating w...

Near the end of the article, it says, "It has the spiciness of pink pepper, which is not used very often in perfumery." Seriously? It's practically featured in every fragrance composition nowadays.
ReplyDeleteYes, I thought it's rather non sensical and thus ommited it.
ReplyDeletePink pepper WAS something novel around when Pleasures was first issued. I think they mentioned in the press release, if I recall correctly, that it was the first one to make use of it.
At any rate, she might have meant that it's rarely used in Middle-Eastern geared perfumery, though I doubt it, personally ;-)
Oh and btw, pink pepper isn't really spicy. It's rose-y. :-)
ReplyDeleteI love learning about perfumer's inspirations. It makes me appreciate the perfume even more.
ReplyDelete