Sunday, November 13, 2016

L'Artisan Parfumeur Saffran Troublant: fragrance review

Although saffron and roses are a favorite combination in many a niche fragrance offering these days, back in 2002, when Safran Troublant actually launched, it was unusual and arresting. Typically with L'Artisan Parfumeur, the road was laid for other travelers to travel through; paths well trodden and less explored alike, but the French brand founded by perfumer Jean Laporte in the late 1970s was a pioneer.

via Pinterest

Safran Troublant, if not marking high on the novelty value impressions score nowadays, still is an arresting scent, if only because it manages to balance the precarious precipice of clandestine smolder and comforting warmth. Roses are not especially simpatico for various reasons, but when given the sheath of a pitch-black collaborator, such as leather, or patchouli, or aoudh or -indeed- saffron, I stand on attention and pay my respects.

There's something about Safran Troublant, at once mouthwatering and "troubling" as its moniker in French denotes. The lactonic creaminess it projects recalls eating rosewater puddings with vanilla, someplace East. The suede-like saffron spice is enhanced by the depths of an irresistibly cozy, musky embrace that draws you in closer. Oddly enough it creates desire to the same degree that it quenches it; a discreet fragrance you might take for granted, like one's mainstay in the wardrobe, but leaving you with the renewed sensation of always looking at it with eyes afresh.

10 comments:

  1. I do not know why Helg but .... any perfume with saffron in it - I cannot smell it. I can taste saffron in food but my nose .... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is one of my favorite scents, especially this time of year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very conductive to cozy thoughts, isn't it. Glad you're enjoying it too!

      Delete
  3. It is one of my favorite L'Artisan scents and perfect for Fall especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has won me over too. I really like a handful of L'Artisan scents which have stayed over the years and will always be "friends". This is one of them.

      Delete
  4. Really? Fascinating. I suppose saffron can read as softly leathery, so that might be just a matter of perception. Your nose must work fine since you smell all the other stuff!
    Hope you're well (and happy birthday in order, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That went to Lady Jicky above. (Darn blogger format)

      Delete
  5. Love saffron with rose! Saffron can indeed go from grassy to leathery to almost metallic in intensity. I have Ajmal's Ragheeb which is another saffron & rose fragrance I love in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your Birthday greetings! My daughter gave me a bottle of Goutal's Honeysuckle ... I do love it so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your Birthday greetings! My daughter gave me a bottle of Goutal's Honeysuckle ... I do love it so.

    ReplyDelete

Type your comment in the box, choose the Profile option you prefer from the drop down menu, below text box (Anonymous is fine too!) and hit Publish.
And you're set!

This Month's Popular Posts on Perfume Shrine