Wednesday, December 24, 2014

At the Moment

Though the time for lists is withheld for next week, counting down the minutes to the New Year, I sat and mentally checked all the things which are brightening these few days of rest and play. Enjoy and share yours with me as well. I'd love to read them when everyone is asleep and place is quiet.

Perfuming
This Christmas I'm scenting my home with the Silver Gems candle by Acqua di Parma: the spicy oriental fragrance is a complex melange of bergamot, orange, davana, plum, amber, vanilla, patchouli and cedarwood. It's scrumptious!
I'm also bringing out the sumptuous Guerlain perfumes, such as Attrape Coeur and Vol de Nuit, and of course my vintage Caron's Nuit de Noel (Christmas Eve, how appropriate). If not now, then when?



Reading
Just started Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects and re-reading Philosophy in the Boudoir, even though contrary to the Marquis' advice I have no daughter. I have put this little tome by Randall Munroe and Society of the Spectacle on my wish list in the meantime for January.


Traditional folk carols from Thrace, sung above in the clip by Chronis Aidonidis

Listening
To Chopin's Etudes as interpreted by Pollini, one of my favorite pianists. And Greek Christmas carols, naturally.


Watching
Reruns of Frozen. It's a favorite in our house, what can I say! On a more personal level, not a very festive choice, but I'm catching up (belatedly, I know) House of Cards. And have tucked the original UK series for comparison's sake in my stocking...

Cooking
I have posted in the past several festive and wintery recipes I like to make, from Pork Care with Dried Apricots and Prunes to the classic Italian Pannetone all the way through Making Your Own Rich Vanilla Extract. And of course the iconic Greek melomakarona honey cookies! Apart from the latter calorie-bombs (which have already been consumed in our house, I'm afraid!), this year I am making Rice Pilaf with Pine Nuts, Chestnuts and Sultana Raisins. It's very tasty, goes well with any meat course and is super easy to make: you just simmer the nuts and fruit in a spoonful of olive oil in a big pot for 4 minutes, then add the raw rice and as much water as required, plus salt to taste.
Bon appetit!

Wearing
This is my party dress. The fitted bodice and pleated skirt make it easy to navigate, the boat neck is great to show off my citrine and gold chandellier earrings, above (apparently so now!).

Makeup
I have said it before, I will say it again. The Transatlantique Collection 2014 by Dior hid a precious gem. Well, it didn't exactly hid it, it was in plain sight amidst the other more "pedestrian" color choices, but still the limited edition detail bugged me enough to delay in getting the coveted item. Mayday #651 lipstick is a g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s red with a raspberry undertone which should fit any skin with a hint of pink or neutral undertones. My go-to choice for Christmas day! And if you want to match perfume to your lipstick, here are some ideas.


Please share in the comments what you're doing these days. 
And don't forget to check back tomorrow for the winner(s) of the grand prize by Tijon! (There's still time to enter a story on this link, if you haven't yet, to be eligible).
We will be having the year's roundup Best next Monday.


3 comments:

  1. Maria16:50

    Frantically finishing work projects, mostly...
    Reading Flynn, too, 'Gone Girl' - didn't like the Russian translation and got the original just two days ago.
    Watching Downton Abbey! What a joy.
    As to New Year dress - looks like we'll be out there in the countryside of grill, horses and snowmobiles, so it'll probably be jeans and a nice top (for a split second of champagne drinking inside) and lots of warm sweaters and a down coat for the rest of the night outside in freezing cold.
    I'm sure only about my perfume for the night - Calvin Klein's Reveal, his favorite for this December. Even if it's not my taste, I won't smell it in these temperatures anyway :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Συγχαρητήρια για τις μουσικές επιλογές, ...and all the best for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous21:30

    I have not seen the second house of cards, but the first is a joy. i am hooked on the swedish wallander series. it's a green christmas here-so unusual-and very very nice! Time on the beach, and to hike, and enjoy driving instead of facing bad weather conditions.
    i wish you a merry christmas and happy new year!
    Love,
    Carole

    ReplyDelete

Type your comment in the box, choose the Profile option you prefer from the drop down menu, below text box (Anonymous is fine too!) and hit Publish.
And you're set!

This Month's Popular Posts on Perfume Shrine