Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fragrance Trends: Mandarin, Note du Jour

Apart from the re-edition of L'Artisan Parfumeur Mandarine (previously Mandarine tout Simplement) we had reported a while ago, there are a few more mandarin-inspired fragrances circulating or launching for 2012, enough to note a trend. Not coincidentally, mandarin orange is THE hot colour of the moment in fashion as well, if Pantone's seasonal predictions are anything to go by (Their Tangerine Tango is a hue of orange-y coral that approximates a great ripe mandarin fruit). My favourite mandarin-inspired perfume remains Serge Lutens's Mandarine Mandarin  for its complexity and rich nuances which run the gamut from tangy green to nectarous ripe to almost mouldy.

via vendernaranjas.com

Now here's a short list of new releases featuring the note du jour, mandarin orange:

4711 Acqua  Colonia Mandarine & Cardamome (by Muelhens)
Aftelier Sepia
Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Fraiche (two trends in one, the "eau fraiche" has returned with a vengeance)
Coach Signature summer 2012 limited edition
Donna Karan Essence Mandarin
L'Artisan Parfumeur Mandarine


Do you have a favorite mandarin orange themed fragrance to recommend?

another take on the hipness of mandarin can be found on fragrantica

6 comments:

  1. My fav mandarin scent is Guerlain's Mandarine Basilic. herbal and a tad sweet, very refreshing!
    LOVE
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there N!!
    Nice to see you. Hope everything is going well :-)

    I haven't devoted much time to this one. My loss, obviously! Basil is a rare note in perfumes (what a shame!) and I should amend this negligence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ursula16:28

    It just so happens that I bought TAUER PERFUMES Orange Star for my son's birthday in May, and love it so much that I could plan a bottle for myself.
    The mandarine/orange there is just so envigorating in a classy way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. U,

    Orange Star is a great one! Great choice! I had reviewed it in the past. It reprises that beloved mandarin-amber accord that Andy does so very well.

    Enjoy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous17:59

    I'm not sure if this is mandarin, per se, but Heely's Oranges and Lemons Say the Bells of St. Clements is rather nice. And I get citrus from Eau Claire des Merveilles by Hermes, although I don't think it is an official note. Coming from Florida, I love citrus perfumes! Bermuda Lili makes one so fresh, it is like smelling fresh-squeezed OJ; it is for male/female and called Fresh Water. It has Bigarade Orange, Bergamot and Mandarine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A,

    I did like the Heeley version for a citrus touch, but didn't progress beyond a sample. Maybe now is the time. Hermes usually has my vote and the LB FW sounds interesting enough.
    Thanks for the recs, as a Florida resident, I trust you implicitly. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Type your comment in the box, choose the Profile option you prefer from the drop down menu, below text box (Anonymous is fine too!) and hit Publish.
And you're set!

This Month's Popular Posts on Perfume Shrine