Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Myrrh: Mythology and Culture

Sacred among essences the resin of the Commiphora myrrha tree grows in the solitary desert weeping its fragrant tears for that which could not be. From the wandering girl Myrrha to the practices of embalming and mummification and the anointing of priest king and lover alike, myrrh is among the most fascinating essences in perfumery and I am pleased to be able to offer my readers who had asked about it two articles investigating its mythology origins and the cultural significance it played in western civilization.

Here is the first part: The Myriad Muses in Myrrh: Mythology ~A tale of lust, incense and guilt.

And here is the second part: The Myriad Muses in Myrrh: Culture ~Between sanctity and carnality.

These are going to be followed by a third part focusing on perfume reviews of my favorite myrrh-centric fragrances.

And let me grab the opportunity to mention those are both part of my new steady column (une rubrique) on Fragrantica especially for my historical articles, besides any other content I provide on the webzine. You can find them on the collective link 1001 Past Tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comment in the box, choose the Profile option you prefer from the drop down menu, below text box (Anonymous is fine too!) and hit Publish.
And you're set!

This Month's Popular Posts on Perfume Shrine